Cornerstones is working to ensure children in our community are prepared for the 2015-16 academic year. A concerning number of families in our neighborhoods are unable to afford backpacks, school supplies, or other essential items to help a child be fully prepared to start school.
Each year, Cornerstones and our partner, Kids R First, equip thousands of K-12 children in the Reston-Herndon area (Cornerstones’ clients, as well as other local students who receive free or reduced cost school meals) with brand-new backpacks. Nearly 3,000 backpacks are needed for this year’s drive.
How Can I Help?
We invite you and/or your organization to participate in the 2015 Back-to-School Drive. It takes a few simple steps:
1) Register here to pledge the number of backpacks you plan to donate.
2) Purchase new backpacks(no wheels or corporate logos, please):
- High School Size 20″ H × 14″ W × 7″ D (the age where our need is greatest)
- Junior High Size 18″ H × 13″ W × 6″ D
- Elementary Age Size 16″ H × 12″ W × 5″ D
3) Deliver the backpacks to Cornerstones Administrative Office at:
11150 Sunset Hills Road, Suite 210, Reston, Va.
August 10th – 14th (Monday – Friday); 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
In addition to backpacks, our case managers are requesting donations of new underwear for elementary school age children again this year. We also welcome Payless gift card donations ($25) so our young clients can get a new pair of shoes.
Questions about our Back to School Drive? Contact Alacia Earley, Volunteer and Drives Manager, 571-323-9568.